Diving Nunukan with Extra Divers | Maratua Atoll, East Kalimantan
The resort can be now reached by plane directly from Balikpapan! The exclusive Extradivers charter flight will be operated by Garuda Indonesia’s ATR-72 aircraft with 65 seats, directly from Balikpapan to Maratua and back. You will be picked up from the airport to Maratua harbour and the boat transfer to Nunukan Island takes 5 -10 minutes only.
Nunukan Island Resort is located on a private island on the outer reef of Maratua Atoll, approx. 60km east of East Kalimantan State in the middle of the Celebes Sea.
The resort can be reached from Balikpapan via Berau, about a 60-min. flight. From the jungles of Berau, the speedboat takes about 3-4 hours to the resort.
Nunukan Island Resort is open 10 months a year from the beginning of March until the end of December. Shuttle transfers are only provided twice a week:
Nununkan Island Resort
Nunukan Island Resort is located on a private island on the outer reef of Maratua Atoll, approx. 60km east of the Indonesian state East-Kalimantan in the middle of the Celebes Sea.
The resort is defined by two main areas, the first compromises of the open air restaurant and bar, dive centre, office and shop overlooking the long jetty to the open seaside and the second area located on the opposite side overlooking the lagoon consists of the landscaped gardens and the lavish guest bungalows.
Nunukan Island Resort - Indonesia Dive Resorts - Dive Discovery IndonesiaNunukan Island Resort - Indonesia Dive Resorts - Dive Discovery Indonesia
The heart of the island retains the original vegetation and the fascinating, almost alien-like formations of the kalp limestone. The wooden walkway that stretches over the island linking the bungalows to the restaurant and bar area offer you plenty of opportunities to observe the natural beauty of Nunukan.
There are 10 beautifully crafted wooden bungalows, equipped with air-con, minibar and sea view shower room on Pulau Nunukan, carefully constructed to merge into the natural surroundings, dotted along the seashore with direct beach access and conveniently positioned so that you can enjoy the sunset from the outdoor bed located on your large terrace. How indulgent!
Extra Divers Nabucco
Extra Divers operate the on-site dive centre at Nunukan Island. Turtles, stingrays, tuna, leopard and nurse sharks can be spotted on the 4km house reef, as well as plenty of macro life living on the large gorgonian fans and whip corals. Unlimited unguided house reef diving is interspersed with speedboat day trips to ‘Big Fish Country’. Extra Divers offer a full range of courses from beginner to Divemaster (SSI, CMAS & PADI) level. Nitrox is available.
The tantalising house reef that stretches the length of approximately 4 kilometres gives divers the opportunity to delve into unchartered waters. Nabucco's Nunukan Island Resort is offering unlimited unguided house reef diving using our local tuk-tuk boats that depart at varying times of the day according to guest needs. Guests have the freedom to decide their own entry points along the reef and the tuk-tuk boat will ensure a pick up following the dive.
The house reef has so far revealed plenty of potential with every dive disclosing interesting sightings. To date, the reef has occasionally offered to those lucky divers turtles, spotted eagle rays, big stingrays, dogtooth tuna, groupers, leopard and nurse sharks as well as small nudibranchs and leaf scorpion fish. Even with the absence of the 'big stuff' the light cascading through the large gorgonian fans, the swaying of whip corals, the walls covered in purple leather corals and hard corals make for a pleasurable dive.
Interspersed throughout your stay, speedboat day trips will be arranged to the infamous dive sites of northern Maratua such as Big Fish Country, the large channel that connects the lagoon to the outer reef. Trips to the western islands of Kakaban and Sangalaki also offer opportunities to spot those graceful mantas. You can snorkel between dives on Kakaban itself, as it is a natural wonder containing a landlocked mangrove framed lake which is full of four different species of non-stinging jellyfish.
Price per person in EUR
- 1,078 per person in Double occupancy
- 1,302 per person in SINGLE occupancy
- 7 Night (Saturday-Saturday) accommodation in Seafront Bungalow
- Full board meals
- 10 house-reef dives, belt, tank, weights & guide
- Return Balikpapan/Maratua airfare @ EUR 350 per person; charters are on Saturdays only, and need to be pre-booked with full payment upon booking.
- Additional dive excursions such as night dive, diving at further dive sites
- Nitrox fills
- Dive equipment rental
- All personal expenditure like soft/hard drinks, phone calls, laundry, massages, tipping, etc.
Extras payable locally
A surcharge will be applied in addition to the House-reef dive package for the following trips …
- €10 per dive ~ Early morning or sunset/night dive (before 07.30 or after 17.00)
- €30 per diver ~ Half-day trip “Muaras” (2 dives)
- €15 per diver ~ Half-day trip “South Maratua” (2 dives)
- €20 per diver ~ Half-day trip “Big Fish Country” (2 dives)
- €40 per diver ~ Day trip “Sangalaki & Kakaban” (2-3 dives)
- €6 per tank ~ Nitrox tank (on request)
- €2 per tank ~ 15-litre tank (subject to availability)
- €40 per diver ~ Extra day trip to Sangalaki & Kakaban (min. 4 persons to go)
- €45 per dive ~ Private guide (max. 2 persons per guide, subject to availability)
Dive equipment rental
- €22 per day ~ full set dive equipment including wetsuit, BCD, regulators, computer, mask, snorkel, fins, SMB, Reefhook.
Chartered flights to/from Maratua on Saturdays only
Operated on Garuda Indonesia’s ATR-72 aircraft with 65 seats.
Airfare of @EUR 350 per person includes
- Return flights between Balikpapan and Maratua
- Land and boat transfers between Maratua and Nabucco Resort on charter dates.
Flight bookings and one-way flights
- Charter flights must be pre-booked with full amount payable upon booking.
- One way charter flight is also available to book.
Flight schedule. Balikpapan (BPN); Maratua (MRT)
As for connecting flights, we recommend …
- Arrival on Saturday morning in Jakarta, for example by QR0958 @07.50 or SQ950 @07.05. Connect with GA570 @10.15 from Jakarta, arrival Balikpapan 13.30.
- Arrive Friday evening with Singapore Airlines in Balikpapan, and the next day fresh and relaxed to Nabucco.
- From Balikpapan with GA571 @17.55, arrival Jakarta 19.00,
- Or more comfortably, GA575 @20.00 from Balikpapan, arrival Jakarta 21.00.
- On Monday, for example, continue with Singapore Airlines to Singapore.
Of course, a stay at Samboja Lodge (orangutans) in Balikpapan is still recommended.
Luggage can be checked through from Jakarta to Maratua and back.
As this is a charter flight it is only bookable through us and not found online.
Our midweek shuttle boat service will remain.
- Arrival Berau-Nabucco on Wednesday, the boat will leave Berau at 15.00 or earlier if everybody is there already. If there is some waiting time our driver will take the guests to a hotel lobby where they can wait comfortably with AC, WC and wifi.
- Departure Nabucco-Berau on Tuesday, the boat leaves the island early morning to connect with GA693 @11.00.
Deposit and Balance Payment
- Deposit of 30% of dive package price is payable immediately
- Balance payment must be made 48 days before arrival at the resort
Cancellation Policy by Resort
Cancellation must be given in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cancellation fee to be charged depends on the number of days the notice is given before the arrival at the resort.
- 30-15 days: 25%
- 14-07 days: 50%
- 06-01 days: 75%
- No show: 100%
Cancellation Policy by Cango Dive
- An administration fee of SGD 200 per diver will be charged for all cancellations.
- Refund amount, including the respective cancellation fee to be deducted, will be advised
- Bank payment charges and currency exchange gains/losses will be borne by the customer
- Cango Dive will deduct our Cancellation Fee of SGD 200 per person before returning the balance to the customer
- Please note that the refund process can take up to 6 months